The carving is on the gatepost to Chelsea House, next door to the offices of the Royal Photographic Society on Wells Road. This substantial house originally boasted extensive grounds, including ‘tennis grounds’, as can be seen on the 1886 OS map extract. (The green lines show the plans for the future Bloomfield Avenue and Hayesfield Terrace, built in the years immediately following the publication of the map).
During the 1930s, these gardens were sold for new housing. The gardens also extended westwards to another substantial property, Oldfield Lodge. This survived the 1930s building boom (it is shown intact on the 1938 OS map) but was subsequently demolished for further housing development.